On this page you can find more in-depth information about how our organisation is run, including our vision, mission, core values and some of our policies.
A space for production and presentation of contemporary art, that contributes to a vibrant, inclusive region where artists and communities can live, work and learn.
The NewBridge Project is a vibrant organisation supporting the creation of new and pioneering contemporary art through an ambitious programme of exhibitions, commissions, events and artist development.
We create platforms for audiences to engage with the creative process, while nurturing artistic and curatorial practice in an engaged and discursive community. Our programme places collaboration and learning at its heart and seeks to be a genuine community resource.
- Experimental in our approach: We provide artists with the flexibility to test out ideas, experiment and be radical, allowing innovative work and alternative approaches to develop
- Artist-Led: An artist-led ethos is embedded across our organisation, generating a responsive programme and vision that is shaped by artists’ needs and interests
- Aware and responsive to the social, political and civic landscape that we exist in: We champion artwork that is reactive to the location, situation and time from which it emerges. We believe art has the power to introduce new ideas, alternative thinking and challenge convention, and can be used as a catalyst to deliver incremental change.
- Development of artists at its heart: We position artist development at the core of everything we do, creating informal and formal opportunities for artistic practice and talent to develop and supporting artists from all backgrounds to progress.
- Focused on collaboration and community: We instil a spirit of collaboration, collectivity anda community in our activity to generate peer learning, critical conversation and social interaction.
- Solidarity: We work in solidarity with artists, local people and community groups who are working toward social and climate justice.
- Care: We embed an ethos of care across our organisation, from the way we work with staff, freelancers, artists and communities, to the way we develop our programmes and policies.
In order to work towards our Vision and deliver our Mission and Values, we have the following strategic goals which form the basis of our work and Business Plan.
- Develop artistic talent through artist development programmes, networking, curatorial opportunities and shared learning.
- Provide opportunities for career development, employment and training within the visual arts sector in the North East of England.
- Provide space, facilities and resources for artists in the North East of England.
- Support the production and presentation of ambitious and pioneering new artwork outside traditional institutional frameworks.
- Provide a welcoming environment and community hub, creating a resource and programme for artists and the local community alike.
- Increase the number of people who experience, engage and participate in contemporary visual art, while increasing the depth and quality of their experience.
- Nurturing a positive organisational and working culture