Artist Opportunity – I, Daniel Blake
Deadline: Monday 3rd October 2016, 11am
The Newbridge Project are working in partnership with the team responsible for promoting the new Ken Loach film, I Daniel Blake and would like to invite an artist based in the North East of England to apply for an opportunity to create a response to the film and themes within it.
I Daniel Blake, is a new film from Ken Loach, portraying the life of a hardworking joiner who following a heart attack, finds himself caught on the barbed wire of welfare bureaucracy when for the first time ever he requires help from the State.
Winner of the Palm D’Or Cannes Film festival award and possibly one of Loach’s most powerful films to date, critics describe it as “A protest cry for humanity”. “A succinct and furious raging against the dying of the light” and “A ballad for the common man”. This is not only going to change people, it will move people to action
Trailer here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahWgxw9E_h4
In the 1960s, Ken Loach’s Cathy Come Home caused such an over-whelming public outcry that it changed housing policy.
The hope is that this film will spark a similar reaction and build public support for a fairer social security system for people in and out of work.
We are seeking ideas that will bring the film and its themes to the attention of the general public in either Sunderland, Middlesbrough or Newcastle.
The opportunity is for an artist to stage an intervention, happening, performance or action – due to the short turnaround and limited budget we intend the artist to create an impromptu action that will be participatory and engaging in nature and take place in a highly visible public space.
- Artist Fee: £400 (2days)
- Production / Materials Budget: £100
- The NewBridge Project will be able to offer additional support to the selected artist in the form of temporary work space, advice and support in gaining necessary permissions (if required)
- Proposals for off-site projects in highly visible public spaces will be preferred (full permission must be granted)
- You will need to reference how the work will achieve maximum reach and impact
- Artists can be working in any field, and their proposal can take any form
- Individual artists and artist collectives may apply
- The opportunity is for artists at any stage of their career
Deadline for applications: Monday 3rd October, 11am
Successful applicant will be notified by: Tuesday 4th October, 12pm
The commissioned artist will be invited to the premier of the film in Newcastle on the 4th of October
Date for Artwork to be shown / delivered will be the week commencing 17th October
To apply please send the following to Jessie Jacobs, firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘I’ Daniel Blake’ Commission
- Proposal (max 1 A4 page) Including what you would like to do, how it engages with the theme, how you intend to create and deliver your idea, any sketches/visualisations of the proposed work
- Artist CV/Bio
- 4 supporting images of recent work or URLs to 4 works