Hidden Civil War
Artist Commission Opportunity
Deadline: Wednesday 6th July 2016, 10am
Hidden Civil War is a month long programme of activity in Newcastle upon Tyne, commissioned by The NewBridge Project. Throughout October 2016 we are inviting activists and artists to contribute to a series of events that expose, collate and present evidence of a Hidden Civil War in Britain today.
This programme will include artworks, performances, public-realm interventions, talks and film screenings from internationally renowned artists and activists. These ideas take a broad approach, from quiet and considered talks and films, through to loud and overt calls for dissent. From playful interventions that subvert the political rhetoric, through to thought-provoking debates that highlight issues of austerity and give voice to marginalized groups. Whilst these works will be embedded within the city of Newcastle, they will be contextualised by national and international ideas of Hidden Civil War.
We invite visual artists based in the North East of England to apply for an artist commission opportunity, to create new work responding to the theme of Hidden Civil War. We are seeking proposals to respond to these ideas within the context of Newcastle upon Tyne and the North East – engaging directly with the people and the place. How does this theme connect to the landscape of the North East and to the communities that reside here?
Background Information: Hidden Civil War
What is the picture of contemporary British society? What is it in the shades and raids of government that has so severely divided communities, torn bonds between us and fragmented person from person? Where are we now and where will we end up?
The landscape: colossal public asset stripping and dissociation via corporate tax evasion; the tearing up of the welfare state and the commitments to each other it was built upon; the vilification of the vulnerable, discriminatory cuts imposed on disabled people and deaths among them. A serious increase in homelessness, amid the biggest housing crisis for several generations, family debt, the ongoing denial of access to land and erosion of civil liberties.
On our streets, in our homes and in our personal and collective consciousness we report conflict. Via the lens of Hidden Civil War and the medium of art, let us gather intelligence and display the evidence.
- Artist Fee: £1000
- Production / Materials Budget: £1000
- The NewBridge Project will be able to offer additional support to the commissioned artist in the form of project management and/or installation requirements.
- Artists can be working in any field, and their proposal can take any form.
- The NewBridge Project Space can be considered as a site for an exhibition or events
- Proposals for off-site and participatory projects and events are also welcomed.
- Individual artists and artist collectives may apply
- The opportunity is for artists at any stage of their career.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday 6th July, 10am
Successful applicant will be notified by: 13th July
Hidden Civil War Dates: Friday 30th September – Sunday 30th October 2016
To apply please send the following to Clare Gomez, Administrator, The NewBridge Project email@example.com
- Proposal (max 1 A4 page) Including what you would like to do, how it engages with the theme, how you intend to create and deliver your idea, any sketches/visualisations of the proposed work
- Artist CV/Bio
- 6 supporting images of recent work or URLs to 6 works
- Outline budget of how you intend to use the materials budget
- Timeline to indicate key milestones in the production of the work
If you have any queries please contact The NewBridge Project on the above email or call 0191 232 8975.