BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art, Level 1
CJSS: Another England was a special event featuring performance, dance and music workshops as part of the project Another England: Mapping 100 Years of Our Black and Asian Heritage. The afternoon’s events were a celebration of the region’s rich Black and Asian heritage.
Help build a map of the North East’s Black and Asian heritage.
- 1pm – 6pm: Screening through the day of The Boarding House, a documentary produced in collaboration between photographer Peter Fryer and David Campbell highlighting aspects of the Yemeni community in South Shields, on the River Tyne.
- 2pm – 2.15pm: Another England Introduction
- 2.15 – 2.45pm: Newcastle Tamil Academy
- 2.45 – 3.30pm: My Knowledge Increase, My Memories Reflects Performance created to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Martin Luther King’s visit to Newcastle
- 4.00pm: Performance of classical Indian dance from the Hindu Nari Sangh, Hindu Women’s Association
- 15.30 – 17.00: Workshop mapping the North East’s Black and Asian Heritage
The Claudia Jones Space Station is part of Freedom City and has been commissioned by The NewBridge Project in partnership with BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art.
The Claudia Jones Space Station is a temporary, living monument named after pioneering Trinidad-born journalist and activist Claudia Jones.
Over the course of four days, The Claudia Jones Space Station will perform an experiment in community formation, involving visitors, collaborators and participants from throughout the region.
Inspired by the model of the Space Station – where multiple experiments take place simultaneously – the CJSS invites you to take part in a range of workshops, events and screenings organised in partnership with artists, activists and collectives concerned with questions of social justice, from Newcastle/Gateshead and beyond. Private or individual meetings, conversations and exchanges can also take place within the space.